Sending review requests to editors isn’t the only way to get people interested in your app. Whether you built up a lot of buzz or you’re just getting started, you’ll need to maintain your app’s presence by listening to consumers and updating it often. Responding to suggestions and improving your app over time will ensure that it continues to go noticed and it even refreshes it in the App Store’s New and Noteworthy section to give you multiple chances of getting new impressions from consumers.
Now that more apps are filling the App Store, there’s a lot of competition. There’s no shortcut to get more downloads. You must work hard. Below are five important steps to help you achieve every developer’s dream of getting more downloads. Please note that even if you follow these steps, your app simply will not do well if it’s not great or doesn’t fill a need or solve a problem.
1) Send Press Releases. PR is everything. While you can tweet and post on Facebook, you’ll only get so far before you hit a bump in the road. Send press releases for every update or change that happens. Personalize the press releases and avoid using too many technical or bland terms. Add some life, humor and engaging conversation to gain interest.
2) Build Relationships. Interact with other app developers and take interest in your users. Respond and talk to followers, go to app conventions, join message boards and stay connected. Keep users interested in your app so that they spread the word to their friends.
3) Know Your Market. You should have already researched who your target market is, but do you really know them? Research your market and know what interests them. There’s a huge number of apps out there so you have to stand out from the pack. Look to see if your idea has been done before. If it has, figure out how to make it better by coming up with a greater idea and knowing what your customers want or demand from an app.
4) Advertise. This may seem like a no-brainer, but many developers don’t take up on the opportunity. After you know your market, find places to advertise your app. While placing an ad on a review site with a high Alexa score may earn you some downloads, so will a website specific to your niche. Also consider advert sharing systems like Tap for Tap and Flurry, or partner with another developer to advertise in their app. Think about traditional media forms as well such as television commercials and print. If your target market uses these forms of media, take advantage of the opportunity.
5) Lower the Price. Putting your app on-sale or even offering it for free may help stir up some buzz. Consider using FreeAppADay to promote it or send the news to App Review websites so they can let their readers know. You’ll get more downloads and hopefully build a fan base so new users will tell all their friends. This will also help you to get suggestions and ratings in the App Store.
Follow these tips and hopefully you’ll start to see more downloads. Have any ideas, suggestions or comments of your own? Let us know by leaving a comment below.